Pages

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

M/M Romantica / Erotica

I am well aware that this is a subject open to some controversy, but I am also aware that there is a lot of support out there for m/m romance. I like to list myself right there at the top of the supporters list.

My friend, Celia Kyle, lovingly refers to it as Yummy Man Loving (YML).

There has been quite a few things spoken for and against m/m in the romance genre. I personally feel that everything has a right to be there. I also agree that people have a right to there own opinion.

Romantic Times recently voted against having a m/m panel at next years RT Convention. In there defense they did then open a poll to gage the views of readers. Whether or not this will change things in the future remains to be seen. To have an organisation as large as RT speaking out in this way could appear damaging to m/m romance. I feel it had the opposite effect, it brought the subject out into the open and made more people aware of it.

Some mistakenly thought that m/m was a new thing. Something that had only become hip over the last couple of years. In fact it's been out for more years than I care to mention. This is not a new things folks and it's not going away. In fact, m/m if getting more popular, especially amongst female readers of romance / erotica.

You may ask the question, why? I don't know how other people feel about it but from my own feelings I can share my opinion.

For me m/m can be one of the sensual, tender and lovingly experiences in the printed word. It can also be dark, dangerous and highly erotic. I keep plenty ice at the ready for some authors work, the pages sizzle. I relish the fact that two people, regardless of race, creed, colour, species (in some paranormals) and religion can find love no matter what sex they are. The books are very well written and a joy to read.

M/M is not the only form of romance / erotica that I read or write for that matter, but it is always a favourite of mine. If you are in anyway curious about what all the fuss is, give it a go. It may not be for you but please don't condemn it without trying it out for yourself.

For those of you that are interested in pursuing m/m romance / erotica 32 authors have form a group. They have a website Man Love Romance and a newsletter that you can subscribe to. There is also a great competition on the site to win a beautiful lithograph drawing called Parallel Dreams, by a wonderful Canadian artist Steve Walker.

All the authors have direct links to their own websites and from there you can browse through the many wonderful works they have on offer.

Some of my personal favourites are Kira Stones Blood Series. Heck I read anything that Kira publishes, I love her work, but her Blood Series is my favourite. She has created a series of Paranormal Characters that have very real concerns and issues. The book Blood Price is a very touching and moving story about a Vampire Lord and human who fight against what appear to be insurmountable odds to be together. Both face death in one form or another. You may think this sounds a little blood thirsty. It is far from it, the penmanship of the book is oustanding and beautifully put together.

Another favourite is Renee George's Seven Deadly Sins, Avarice. It's a story about Hogan and Sun. Sun has something that Hogan wants and Hogan has something that Sun wants. The journey that each of these two men take is full of personal conflicts. Sun is a very real innocent in a world that isn't that innocent anymore. His innocence reminded me of what it was to be a child again, when everything was new and surround in mystery. A time when what can sometimes be a cold reality was not part of my vocabulary. Renee has capture Sun essence perfectly, painting a guiding light with words.

Both of these books can be found at Changeling Press. My hats go off to both you ladies for such wonderful work and to all the authors that I've not had chance to mention, paricularly Sean Michael. He is a forerunner in this genre and a particular favourite is the Jarhead Series.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post please add your comments for everyone else to read. Whether you are in favour or against m/m romance I would like to hear from you.

8 comments:

Celia Kyle said...

Did somebody say Yummy Man Loving? I'm so there. *g* Love it!

I love the emotional freedom it affords male characters. I get to write a strong dominant man and pair him with a sweet tender lover. *sigh* What could be better? Nothing!

Ok, sometimes I try and improve upon the perfect m/m relationship by throwing a lady in there but that's usually do to my wishful thinking.

Celia

Jan said...

WTG Shara!

It's about time that someone supported this genre with an open honest opinion without fear or ridicule!

I have always loved reading the m/m genre and have the work of Sean Michael, Julia Talbot, Kira Stone, Renee George, JJ Massa and many other authors in my personal library. I know that Shara and I both share a love of Willa Okati's The Brotherhood series as a particular favorite!

Expressions of love and Romance should be celebrated regardless of who you love!

Homosexual/Homoerotic love is an equally valid form of sexual expression which incites love, tenderness, sexual heat and desire. The outcome is a smoldering electric interplay of life's pleasures which we all share with our significant other.

The carcophony of dissent that has been publicized recently has left me 'cold'.

Those of us who love reading the romance and erotica associated with this genre applaud the incites provided by the authors!
Love is love and romance in any genre is the mainstay of many publishers of Romantica. To disregard this element is to be hypocritical of human loving relationships.

I am a lover of great stories and the stories dealing with m/m are equally romantic, thought provoking and sensual! Not everyone will embrace this genre due to personal bias etc, but to disregard it, in my opinion is a 'crime.'

Nicole said...

Big hugs hon. Great post.

Paz Edwards said...

Yes, great post!

Paz

Renee George said...

Wow, thanks Shara. I appreciate the support of MM and its writers. (Especially myself,lol). Oh, and the pictures -- Oh baby. I think I've been inspired.

Hugs,
Renee

Michele Writes said...

YML rules. Loved the post, babe. And those pictures? Droooooooool.

Eve Vaughn said...

I love that pick, the only thing missing is me in the middle.

SassyJill said...

I have faith that there will only be more and more m/m romance on the market in the future.

I remember a few years ago when finding a mainstream paranormal romance was hard, now (thankfully) they are everywhere.